This recipe for Sweet Potato, Carrot and Corn soup is perfect for the cooler weather and contains a healthy dose of Vitamin A.
Most parts of Australia are heading into Autumn. This means the weather starts to cool down and many people seek warmer meals. One of the toastiest and tastiest meals around is soup! Featuring hearty sweet potato and delicious corn even the look of this vibrant orange soup will warm you up.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato, Carrot and Corn Soup
Serves 8 people
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1 onion – peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots – peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes – peeled and cubed
- 1 medium white potato – peeled and cubed
- 6 cups of water
- 550g can of unsalted corn kernels including liquid
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper
- (Optional: plain yoghurt and paprika)
Directions for Sweet Potato, Carrot and Corn Soup
1) Heat canola oil in a frying pan until warm.
2) Add diced onion and saute until translucent.
3) Add chopped carrots and continue to cook until they are tender.
4) When carrots are tender add your minced garlic.
5) When garlic is gently cooked transfer the onion, carrot and garlic mix into a large saucepan.
6) Add in the sweet potatoes, white potato, water, corn kernels and the liquid.
7) Season with salt and pepper and simmer ingredients until all vegetables are soft.
8) Take of heat and use a stick blender to puree to desired consistency (smooth or slightly chunky).
9) Optional: Serve into soup bowl and garnish with a dollop of plain yoghurt and a sprinkle of paprika.
Remember: You can store your leftover soup in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
|Estimated Nutritional Facts|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 3 g||5 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 323 mg||13 %|
|Potassium 322 mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 23 g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||17 %|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 3 g||7 %|
|Vitamin A||146 %|
|Vitamin C||17 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated. These are to be taken as a rough estimate only.|
Recipe adapted from Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup by 'This and That' Feature image by Avital Pinnick provided under Creative Commons 2.0.