Was improving your health on your New Year Resolutions for 2017? We have put together some of our favourite recipes to get you starter on the right track!
Healthy and delicious? We will show you how it’s done!
Louise’s Cauliflower Pizza
Recipe from Taste
Who doesn't love pizza? This healthy cauliflower and mushroom recipe delivers on both crunch and flavour and even those gluten-free diners can indulge
• 500g cauliflower, chopped
• 70g (1 cup) finely grated Parmesan
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 80g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
• 80g tomato medley mix, halved or sliced
• 3 small bocconcini, torn, drained on paper towel
• 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn, to serve
1. ) Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Line 3 large baking trays with baking paper. Place the cauliflower in a food processor and process to coarse crumbs (you may need to do this in batches). Place the cauliflower crumbs on 1 prepared tray and spread out evenly. Bake, stirring halfway through cooking, for 15 minutes or until dry. Set aside to cool. Transfer the cooled cauliflower to a large bowl.
2. ) Add the parmesan and egg to the cauliflower crumbs. Season with pepper. Stir well to combine.
3. ) Divide cauliflower mixture into 4 equal portions. Place 2 portions on each of the remaining prepared trays. Press each into a 16cm disc, allowing room between bases for spreading. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bases are light golden and crisp.
4. ) Combine the tomato paste and garlic in a bowl. Spread over pizza bases. Top with mushroom, tomato and bocconcini. Lightly spray with olive oil. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is light golden. Sprinkle with the basil.
Passionfruit, Pineapple & Vanilla Icy Poles
Recipe from gourmet traveller
This frosty creation is perfect for the upcoming hot summer days! The icy pole will keep you refreshed and best of all? It is super easy to make and uses real fruit!
• 80gr Caster Sugar or sugar alternative
• Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
• Pulp of 6 passionfruit
• 600ml freshly juiced pineapple juice
• Itbsp Lime Juice
1. ) Stir sugar, vanilla seeds and 60ml water in a small saucepan over low heat to dissolve sugar, bring to the simmer, remove from heat and set aside to cool
2. ) Strain two-thirds of the passionfruit pulp through a fine sieve, pressing solids with a spoon to extract liquid (discard solids). Whisk passionfruit juice, remaining passionfruit pulp, pineapple juice, lime juice and vanilla sugar syrup in a large bowl to combine and pour into desired moulds (around 80ml each). Freeze until half-frozen (1½ hours), insert icy-pole sticks and freeze until frozen (8 hours or overnight).
3. ) To serve, place moulds in a container of cold water that comes three-quarters of the way up the sides. Pull on sticks to release icy poles and eat immediately or store in the freezer for up to a month in an airtight container.
Tip: To make this dessert fun and more enticing for the little ones. Try our Zoku & Tovolo pop moulds. These moulds come in all different shapes and figurines!
Open Lamb Burgers With Beetroot Hummus
Recipe from Taste
With lamb patties, Turkish bread and beetroot hummus, these open burgers are such an easy Mediterranean-inspired dinner.
• 500g Lamb Mince
• 1/2 cup (35g) fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 Egg
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
• Olive oil spray
• 125g drained canned beetroot, liquid reserved
• 100g canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon tahini
• 1/2 loaf Coles Bakery Turkish Bread
• 30g baby spinach leaves
• 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut into thin ribbons
• 1/4 cup Greek-style yoghurt
1. ) Combine the mince, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin and allspice in a medium bowl. Season. Shape mixture into four 2cm-thick patties
2. ) Spray a large frying pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Cook patties for 4-5 mins each side or until cooked through
3. ) Meanwhile, process the beetroot, 2 tbs reserved beetroot liquid, chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice and tahini in a food processor until almost smooth. Season.
4. ) Preheat grill on medium-high. Split bread in half. Cut each piece in half crossways. Place bread, cut-side up, under grill until lightly toasted.
5.) Divide bread among serving plates. Spread with half the beetroot hummus. Top with spinach, patties, cucumber, a dollop of yoghurt and a dollop of remaining beetroot hummus.
Crispy Sweet Potato Nachos
Recipe by Delicious
Topped with fresh tomato salsa and spiced lean beef, these nachos are the ultimate crowd-pleaser.
• 2 large sweet potatoes, thinly sliced lengthways using a mandoline
• 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
• 1 small eggplant, finely chopped
• 350g lean beef mince
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground chilli
• 2 tsp dried oregano flakes
• 21/2 tsp smoked paprika (pimenton)
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 11/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut cream, chilled
• Juice of 1 lime
• Charred jalapenos, halved avocado and coriander leaves, to serve
• Tomato salsa
• 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/3 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• Juice of 2 limes
1. ) Preheat the oven to 150°C. Place sweet potatoes in a single layer over 3 baking paper-lined baking trays and brush with 2 tbs oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until beginning to dry out. Reduce oven to 110°C and bake, turning and swapping trays every 15 minutes, for a further 1 hour or until crisp. Remove from oven and cool.
2. ) Combine salsa ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and set aside.
3. ) Heat 1 tbs oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic and capsicum for 8 minutes or until softened. Remove onion mixture from pan and set aside. Add eggplant and remaining 1 tbs oil to pan. Increase heat to high and cook for 8 minutes or until tender and golden. Remove the eggplant from pan using a slotted spoon and set aside. Add mince, cumin, chilli, oregano and 2 tsp paprika to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until meat is browned. Add the tomato, Worcestershire sauce and 2 cups (500ml) water, then return onion, garlic, capsicum and eggplant to pan. Cook for 15 minutes or until thick and reduced. Season to taste.
4. ) Meanwhile, combine coconut cream, lime juice and remaining 1/2 tsp paprika in a bowl. Season with salt and set aside.
5. ) Arrange sweet potato chips in a serving dish and top with the spicy beef mixture, charred jalapenos, avocado, coriander, tomato salsa and coconut cream dressing.
Kale Nice Cream Shake
Recipe from thefeedfeed
Don't let the Kale fool you! This delicious smoothie taste like Ice Cream!
• 1/4 cup (43g) firmly packed chopped pitted dates
• 1 cup (240ml) filtered water
• 1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder (optional)
• 1 cup (25g) torn-up curly green kale leaves
• 1/2 cup (70g) raw unsalted cashews, soaked 2 medium-sized bananas
• Pinch of Celtic sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon minced ginger
• 2 cups (250g) ice cubes
1. ) Place the chopped pitted dates in a small bowl.
2. ) Cover them with the 1 cup of filtered water, and allow to sit for about 20 minutes to soften.
3. ) Pour the dates and water into the blender, add the other ingredients, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy.
Healthy Raw Nutella
Healthy raw Nutella? It's true - and it's delicious.
• 2/3 cup (100g) hazelnuts
• 1 cup (100g) cacao powder
• 100g extra virgin coconut oil
• 100ml maple syrup
1. ) Soak hazelnuts in water overnight. The next day, drain and rinse well.
2. ) Place hazelnuts in a food processor and whiz until fine. Add 1/4 tsp salt and pulse to combine. Add 1/4 cup (25g) cacao and whiz to combine, then add 25g coconut oil, and whiz until combined. Repeat, alternating between cacao and coconut oil, and scraping down sides of bowl, until combined.
3. ) Add maple syrup in a thin stream to form a paste. If mixture splits, add warm water, 1-2 tbs at a time, with the motor running to bring back together. Place in an airtight container and store.
Watermelon & Feta Salad
What makes watermelon even better? Adding pumpkin seeds and feta!
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 2.4kg (1/2 small) seedless watermelon, peeled, quartered
• 100g feta cheese
• 1/4 cup lemon-scented extra-virgin olive oil
1. ) Place oil and pumpkin seeds in a cold frying pan. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until toasted. Season with sea salt and transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
2. ) Slice each piece of watermelon into 1cm-thick wedges. Arrange on a large plate.
3. ) Crumble feta over watermelon. Drizzle with lemon-scented oil. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Season with cracked black pepper. Serve
Chocolate Dipped And Drizzled Fresh Fruit
Recipe from thefeedfeed
if you have a sweet tooth, this simple recipe will make your fruit FAR more exciting!
• 8 ounces dark chocolate
• 1 tbsp. virgin coconut oil
• 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
1. ) Place fruit slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until solid (2-6 hours).
2. ) In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and coconut oil for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
3. ) Remove fruit from freezer and dip each slice into the chocolate – allowing the excess to runoff – working quickly, roll chocolate dipped ends in toasted coconut flakes.
4. ) Return to freezer to set chocolate
5. ) Remove from freezer 15 minutes prior to serving