Delicious warm from the oven, or lightly toasted for tea or breakfast. This Easy Hot Cross Bun recipe is perfect for Easter.
• 500g strong white bread flour
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 heaped tsp mixed spice
• 50g caster sugar
• 50g butter, chopped into cubes
• 200g mixed dried fruit
• 7g sachet easy-blend dried yeast
• 200ml milk
• 2 eggs
•3 tbsp plain flour
• honey or golden syrup, for brushing
1. ) Add flour into the bowl then combine salt, mixed spice and the sugar
2. ) Using your fingertips, gently rub in the butter. Stir in the dried fruit and yeast.
3. ) Warm the milk slightly so it is hot, but still cool enough to put your fingers in. Beat eggs and combine milk and eggs into mixture.
4. ) Mix the ingredients to a moist dough and leave to soak for 5 minutes. Then cut the dough into roughly 8 pieces.
5. ) Shape the dough into buns on a floured surface.pace apart on a baking sheet, cover loosely with cling film, then leave in a warm place until half again in size.
6. ) When the buns are risen, heat oven to 220C. Mix the flour with 2 tbsp water to make a paste. Pour into a plastic food bag and make a nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on top of each bun.
7. ) Bake for 12-15 minutes util the buns have risen and are golden. Brush all over with money and golden syrup.