This classic Christmas trifle is layered with fresh strawberry and raspberry jelly, creamy custard and sherry soaked sponge cake. Perfection!
• 2 x Packets of Raspberry Jelly Crystals
• 500g Strawberries
• 250g Raspberries
• 200g Of your favourite Sponge Cake, cut into small cubes
• 80ml of Sweet Sherry
• 500g Mascarpone cheese
• 1L Vanilla bean custard
• 600ml heavy thickened cream
• 2 Tbsp Icing sugar
• 2 Tbsp Flaked natural almonds, roasted
1. Make jelly (follow recipe on packet) pour into a 3 litre (12-cup) glass serving bowl.
2. Cut 250g of the strawberries in half; add to the jelly with half the raspberries. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until jelly is almost set.
3. Place cake in a medium bowl, sprinkle with sherry; toss to coat.
4. Beat mascarpone and custard in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon custard mixture over jelly, then top custard with sherry-soaked cake.
5. Beat cream and half the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon cream over cake.
6. Serve trifle topped with remaining raspberries and strawberries, then flaked almonds. Dust with remaining icing sugar.